Asthma sufferers – You can reduce the frequency and severity of your attack!
How do they ask?
As we all know, our diet plays an important role in all the main health problems we face, the following information is a guideline for people with asthma out there. Although it might be successful for most of you there will be someone else who does not get the same results.
By changing your diet, you can help reduce hyperactivity of your immune cells, thus making it less responsive to allergens and air pollution. By increasing certain nutritional intake, you can neutralize the production of free radicals and this can reduce attacks and improve your lung function.
Diet high vegetable oil, salt and almost no fruits and vegetables will increase the severity and frequency of asthma, while the diet is high in vegetables, fruits and fish will reduce this asthma problem.
What do you need to eat
1) Fresh fruits -These are high vitamins C and E, contain beta -carotene [beneficial for your lungs] and many other nutrients. The fruit also contains antioxidants and this helps protect our lungs [and the body] from pollution. Try to eat as many fruit as possible during the winter months [we all tend to forget the fruit in this cold period] as you did in the summer months, this will prevent a decrease in lung function during winter and make you lack vulnerable to lung infections. Do not forget to eat red apple skin, the skin contains strong antioxidants called quercetin which is a natural anti-histamine and anti-inflammatory, this will help reduce the severity of asthma attacks.
2) Green vegetables I know, not everyone likes to eat [including myself] but try because this contains bio-flavonoids that help in reducing free radicals [which can harm healthy tissue]. Don’t forget to increase shallots and garlic intake because it contains a strong antioxidant called quercetin which is a natural anti-histamine and anti-inflammatory, this is very useful in reducing the severity of asthma attacks.
3) Fresh Fish – Rich in Omega 3 fatty acids [helps in reducing lung inflammation and good protein sources, try to enter at least 2 or 3 servings of some fish that are roasted every week because this will help restore the good balance from that Both essential fatty acids in your system.
4) Extra -virgin olive oil – very delicious and high unsaturated fat that has excellent health benefits. By replacing other fats that you usually use with olive oil, you will find an increase/reduction of your asthma attack. Try using olive oil on your salad instead of processed salad dresses.
5) Reduce your salt intake -using a lot of salt has been proven to increase the asthma incidence, so instead of trying to use natural spices such as wise, coriander, ginger and turmeric. This will not only increase the taste of your food but also contains antioxidant capabilities that help neutralize free radicals.
6) Try to remove the following –
* Dairy products [including milk] because this tends to increase the severity of symptoms and asthma attacks
* Mucus that forms food, this worsens the respiratory condition by increasing mucus in your airways so as to block and worsen the respiratory tract. This includes chocolate, bread, sugar, cake, and fine flour.
Useful tips regarding asthma
1) Increase the following vitamin intake
* Vit A – Lack of vitamins can cause vulnerability and/or increased bronchial problems [especially in infants]. This good source of vitamins can be found in foods such as carrots, tomatoes, strawberries, apricots and spinach.
* Vit C – Very beneficial for active asthma who experience hyperactive airways during and after exercising. This vitamin is found in many vegetables and fruits – spinach, parsley, oranges, etc.